First off, thanks for all of the comments on my Dishdrain Alternative. Sometimes I wonder whethere it is “worth it” to post such simple projects and it’s nice to know you like to see them. It might not be the solution for everyone, but it works for me!
On to my weekend sewing story. Last Friday I heard the call of the mall (as my mom would say) so I headed on down to check out the back to school sales, etc. Not that I am in any way going back to school, but it always makes me excited and sometimes makes me think I need to buy things. I was considering a few shirts when I remembered that I work from home, and don’t need office clothes anymore. Instead I bought 2 Simplicity So-Easy patterns at Jo-Ann’s, destined for fabric that I already had.
And so on Saturday I whipped up this number, Simplicity 2962 (View A, shortened version). I’m really happy with how it turned out. It’s a very similar style to some of the other shirts I’ve made as far as the yoke goes, and I’ve learned my lesson about patterns being way too wide in the shoulder for me. So this time I went down one pattern size (the amount of ease seemed insane–there is a tie in the back, but I don’t need a tent) and I modified the front yoke by removing about 1″ from the center of the piece (cut on the fold, so really I took out 2 inches). Usually this just means a little more gathering of the shirt front, which I’m fine with, but this shirt is pleated. And therefore I had some issues, and wouldn’t call it “So” easy to modify. But it was doable after some cussing and seam ripping. And I’ll probably make it again, only this time I’ll remove some fabric from the shirt front, too, so the pleats match and such. I got the fabric a while back on clearance for $2/yd at Jo-Anns, and I just love it. Sometimes I’m surprised at the gems I can find beneath the stacks of craziness in that store.
Here’s a closeup of what’s left of the fabric and the pattern. I haven’t ever sewn from the So Easy line before but I think I will do it again. Each pattern only cost $3 at regular price (which I paid), making this a $7 (plus lots of labor) shirt. Better than the deals at the mall, for sure.
The rest of the weekend involved cobbler (from a box, and so good) and tonight, improvised sour cream chicken, spinach and rice for dinner. What else was I to do when I realized we bought more sour cream without opening the first tub? Here’s my general idea recipe:
Sour Cream and Garlic Chicken and Rice, Serves 3-4
6 chicken tenderloins (more for more people)
1 small tomato, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
2 generous dollops of sour cream
2-3 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper
3 green onions, chopped
1 cup rice, uncooked
2 cups water
1 tbsp olive oil
any spices you like in your rice
2 cups fresh spinach
Get the rice started by mixing the rice, 2 c water, 1 tbsp olive oil and any spices in a pot. Cook as usual, once rice is done cooking, quickly throw the spinach in and cover the pot again. Let it steam with the rice for 10 minutes. Congrats, you have saved using another pot.
As the rice is cooking, prep the chicken. Salt and pepper the chicken heartily and place it in the bowl with 2 tbsp olive oil, garlic, and sour cream. Mix together and let it marinate for 15 minutes (start cooking it once you dump the spinach in the rice pot so they’ll both be done around the same time). Heat up the pan and add the remaining tbsp olive oil. Place the chicken in the pan and allow to cook for about 2-3 minutes. Cover (to keep it tender). Add the tomato and green onions and cook until chicken is done (a few more minutes).
Serve the chicken mixture over the rice mixture. If you’re fancy you can cube the chicken before you serve it (or before you cook it, but that always leads to dry chicken for me).
I have no pictures for you because we ate it. But it was simple, and contained vegetables, therefore a winner in my book! Yum. Now I’m heading to the fridge for the leftover cobbler!